People Just Like Us will host the Sydney media launch of the Pledge for a Just Refugee Policy—an initiative of Refugee Action Committee Canberra, Julian Burnside AO QC, and People Just Like Us. (Pledge website http://pledgeforrefugees.org.au/)
The Pledge consists of a Five Point Plan of Positive Solutions for People Seeking Asylum. These are:
1. Immediate release and settlement for all those suffering at our hands.
2. End mandatory detention.
3. Raise the refugee intake substantially.
4. Safe and just passage of asylum seekers to Australia, with no punishment based on means of arrival.
5. Give permanent settlement visas, citizenship with full rights including work and family reunion.
Candidates for Federal Election 2016 will be invited to sign the Pledge and the names of non-signatories will be published prior to the election.
A refugee speaker, community groups in support of the Pledge and some of the signatories, such as Dr David Isascs, Robin de Crespigny and Senator Lee Rhiannon will be available for questions at the launch.
A short film with interviews from some prominent people who have supported the pledge will be shown at the media launch. Everyone is welcome.
- May 17, 2016 at 12:30pm – 1:30pm
Knox Street Bar
21 Shepherd St
Chippendale, NSW 2008
Google map and directions
- 6 people are going